Hashgraph Board

Misunderstanding of why bitcoin is not a currency.

Offline Sublime5447

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
Misunderstanding of why bitcoin is not a currency.
« on: January 15, 2018, 02:18:11 PM »
I watched the hashgraph panel discussion put together by Demetri kofinas entitled "The future is not blockchain it's hashgraph" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evWBgNdWNDk). In that panel discussion one of the presenters Andrew Masanto correctly made the statement that bitcoin is not a currency, but immediately followed it with the incorrect assertion that it was because of the slowness of the bitcoin blockchain network. I have been saying that bitcoin was not a currency since 2013 and it is refreshing to see other people who realize that fact as well, but believe it is very important to understand why. It is my understanding that Andrew will be heading up the effort to create a true digital currency on the hashgraph network, which will be very exciting because we have never created a true digital currency. I am very interested in conversing with anyone who will be working on the proposed public value unit, I believe I have valuable information on how the effort would need to be structured, mostly I just want to let them know why bitcoin is not a currency, the changes that would have to be implemented to make bitcoin a currency and why it matters. I do not want any compensation and am not interested in speculative gains. If anyone can steer me in the right direction it would be appreciated.
Thanks
Christopher North.     

Offline Eamorr

• Ambassador
  • +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Misunderstanding of why bitcoin is not a currency.
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2018, 08:27:59 AM »
Hi Christopher,

I think any network with a "public value unit" would need to negotiate a licensing agreement?

In some ways, the patented nature of the algorithm could be a very good way of regulating the public economy using democratic and consensus-like systems that humans have evolved to use over the years.

Offline Sublime5447

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Misunderstanding of why bitcoin is not a currency.
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2018, 12:11:13 PM »
Hi Christopher,

I think any network with a "public value unit" would need to negotiate a licensing agreement?

In some ways, the patented nature of the algorithm could be a very good way of regulating the public economy using democratic and consensus-like systems that humans have evolved to use over the years.

I hope not, I really don't know how it could be structured, but it would be great if they just gave an irrevocable license for public use of the tech.